“They were a good opponent with very good players and even though it was a friendly there was pretty good intensity. It was a nice game.” Lyon goalkeeper Hugo Lloris on the Montreal-Lyon game
Final: Impact Montreal 1 (Andrew Wenger 39’) vs Lyon 1 (Pied 28’)
Scored: Cissokho, Koné, Fofana, Gomis
Scored: Ubiparipovic, Mallace
Missed: Neagle, Fetai
This game was only a friendly, yes, but it counted as well. Lyon had the sublime Lloris between the sticks in the Starting XI and what saves he pulled off in the first half. But I have to be honest, if OL do not fix their game plan/tactics, we’re in for another season of Lloris having to do some defending work for himself.
Alessandro Nesta made his debut for the Impact Montreal in this game. For the OL, they had the very first chance of the game in the 2’ but Briand’s shot happened to fly over Bush’s head. Bush is the Impact’s goalie and he is a damn great goalie too. For the first half, Lloris and Gourcuff were my men of the match. Lloris had the commentators yelping like little bitches with every save he made.
Jeremy Pied opened the scoreline for the OL with a nice Gourcuff assist but a few minutes later, Impact equalized through Andrew Wenger (no, no relation to the great Arsene Wenger).
So we won on penalties.
Lyon will next face Montpellier in the Trophee des Champs tournament this Saturday. By the way, Montpellier also played a friendly game last night. They won 3-0 against Kansas City Wizards.
Lyon in action
- The first half was fairly decent. The boys had their goal and wanted to achieve it, but somewhere along the way, they seem to have lost it.
- Yoann Gourcuff and Hugo Lloris were the best in the first half for me. Lloris’ saves and Gourcuff’s passes, I have no complaints. Lloris is really good on one-on-one situations. Some might say ‘We have so and so’ but Lyon can boast, ‘We have Lloris.’
- Lack of pace. Gomis and co. need to run faster. Sometimes they lacked that speed where it was needed most.
- Defense problem. Garde needs to fix this and quickly. No disrespect to Garde who is doing but not enough really, but what Lyon needs is a coach like Laurent Blanc or Pep Guardiola to bring out their potential because there’s tons there. The team has great players, but they can be use even better.
- Impact Montreal’s goalie, Bush, I love you. Keep up the awesome work!
- And oh, Rémy Vercoutre, I have no complaints about you. If Lloris leaves, Lyon will be in safe hands. Great penalty stopper and some saves were Lloris-like.
- Room for improvement
Lyon’s Starting XI
Montreal Starting XI
Half time interview